What to bring, and what not to bring
- Bring a helmet. Our insurance requires us to require you to wear one. If you don’t have one, you can get one cheap or even free at the Tampa Bay Bike Co-op.
- Bring a couple of spare inner tubes and a device to inflate them.
- Make sure your bike and especially your tires are in tip-top shape- don’t wait until the night before the event to check them. If you don’t know how, take it to St. Pete Bike and Fitness, Outspokin- Clearwater, The Trek Store of Tampa or Clearwater, Velo Champ-Seminole Heights, Tampa, or the Tampa Bay Bike Co-op during the week before the event and have their mechanics look over your bike.
- Bring a bright head and tail light. Reflective ankle bands or stickers are a good idea as well.
- Bring a change of riding clothes, as well as street clothes- you’d be surprised how much a clean kit can make you feel better, and once the race is over, do your groin a favour and change into street clothes.
- Towels. You can dry off with them, you can change clothes under them, they can be used as a pillow- IS THERE ANYTHING A TOWEL CAN’T DO?
- Bring a couple of garbage bags, for garbage, as well as dirty clothes/towels/etc.
If you’re on a team:
- Your team should bring a ez-up 10×10 tent or some form of shelter from the sun. If you bring a tent, make sure you bring some weights to hold it down in the case of inclement weather.
- Lawn/camp chairs.
- At least a gallon of water for each rider.
- A cooler or two.
If you’re riding solo:
- A lot of sunscreen.
- More Water than you’ll think you can drink (two gallons).
- A cooler
- A small duffle bag/satchel/small cooler (a “drop” bag) filled with supplies for the Friendly Way checkpoint.
- Bar B Q Grills and camp stoves are PROHIBITED in the main parking lot.
- We do not have electricity in the main parking lot, so you’ll have to power any electronics you intend to bring.
- Fireworks, Strippers (men and women), and selling any kind of food or beverage are all on the no-no list we got from the Rays.
What we’re providing
- We will have several hundred pounds of ice.
- O.N.E. Coconut Water is providing us with two (2) Pallets worth of Coconut Water.
- We have a very limited number of 10 x 10 tents that will be up for grabs on a first come, first served basis.
- We have two parking lots. The main one (Tropicana Field Lot 4) will have space for about 80 cars or so, and the other lot (Central Ave @17th St. S) will fit at least 50 more. Again, first come, first served.
- We will have a few big ice water dispenser cooler jugs. You know, the kind they dump on the coach’s head when he wins the big game. Don’t rely on these as your sole source of water, however.
- The Friendly Way checkpoint will also have water and ice for competitors. If you’re riding solo, you can give us a drop bag, and we’ll transport it down to the Friendly Way checkpoint for you. Put foods and/or drinks in there, in case you need a pick-me-up in the middle of a lap, particularly towards the end of the race.
- Word has it that at least one big energy drink company will show up to dispense samples at some point in the afternoon. They aren’t an official sponsor, so I’m not going to name them, but you’ve heard of them before. They should be around for five hours or so.
- Guaranteed Awesomeness
This post will be updated, keep checking back.